Friday, September 18, 2015

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

What a great book. To think that someone wrote a book that centres around video games and 80's movies, TV, music and culture is fantastic. It brings in all the great elements of my childhood and of all people around my age.

I was very engaged in the story the whole way through. I did not find that any part of the story was slow or made me lose interest in what was going on. I had to get back to listening to it whenever I could to find out what happened next. The great part about the audio book is that Wil Wheaton is the narrator. He is great and even puts on slightly different voices for the main few characters. The best part is when he references himself a number of times; I bet that made him laugh when going to record. 

The idea of a completely immersive online community is quite interesting and gives one the ability to be anyone they want to be, and I can see how that would be attractive and even addictive to people. I remember a few years ago when there was a very crude version of the Oasis available but I never heard of anyone ever using it and in fact I don't even know if it still exists. The suspense of the game, the chase, the puzzles is quite addictive and made me wish there were actual games out there like this.

For this book to be something completely new and yet still go through so much nostalgic 80's pop culture is amazing. I cant believe I hadn't read this book before now and that it didn't get more hype around it upon release. I didn't even hear about it until it was on the BOTNS podcast and even since then I have heard nothing of it. Until that is, I started reading it and a few of my geeky friends piped up saying they couldn't believe I hadn't read it before now. I honestly thought this book was written a few decades ago and was pleasantly surprised when i discovered it was only written in 2011. Well done on your 80's geekiness Ernest Cline, well done. 



No comments:

Post a Comment