Friday, September 18, 2015

The Last Thing I Remember - Andrew Klavan

During the first half of this book I was very frustrated as it went so slowly and nothing really seemed to happen. Well it was that or the main line of the story didn't have enough to hook me into it. This did change a little as the story went on but it was more for the discovery of new information rather than what was going on, kind of like the TV show Arrow where you just want to know what happened on the island for those four years that Oliver was missing. I just want to know what happened during that year and leaving it open for sequels to get those answers left me quite upset. Now I have to read two more of these books to find that out. At least this one was a quick read and didn't require much thought and concentration to get through it, which I'm guessing the subsequent ones won't either.  

I must admit I'm not sure how, but I did know almost straight away that Charlie was older than he thought he was (although I thought it was a number of years older not just one). 

I found that I had to re read some lines as the writing was not amazing. It wasn't terrible and definitely didn't put me off the book, as I have experienced before with other authors, it just didn't seem overly polished. Or perhaps that is the way it was meant to be as it could be that is the way the character thinks, but it really annoyed me. However either I got used to it or it didn't occur much towards the second half of the book.

It seems to me that from the pace of this story, all three books could be the arc over one decent length book. It feels like the author presented a book to the publishers and they in turn said they wanted a trilogy instead, so the book was split in three. I'll see if it still feel like that after I finish all three books.


No comments:

Post a Comment